Thursday, February 10, 2011

The kindness of a stranger

Last night something a little odd happened. I went to the bathroom for a drink of water, and there was this really sweet Chinese girl in the bathroom washing her face. Earlier last year, right when it started getting cold I had given her some socks because she didn't have any (she only wore flipflops). She seemed really grateful, and I mean REALLY grateful for this simple pair of socks. I thought nothing of it, but apparently she never forgot because last night she stopped me in the bathroom and told me the best she could (her english isn't all that good) that she had something for me. She ended giving me a brand new Dance Dance Revolution game for the Wii. She told me that she had bought this game and had never really used it. She also told me that she was going back to China soon, and that she didn't want to take it with her. So basically, I got a brand new DDR because I gave this girl a pair of socks. I guess this shows just how far a simple act of kindness will go. I also didn't realize how much of an impact I had made on this girl's life. I wonder what would happen if we were all kind to one another? After all, we're all just human. I know that this is something I need to work on in my life also. Making judgments before you meet someone is something we all do. One of my goals is to do just that. No judgments. You never know how many new friends are out there just waiting to give you a pair of socks when you need one. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment